Art for Money's Sake: Life, Love and the Pursuit of Internships.

This was me exactly 12 hours ago.
"its 5o'clock in the mornin.. presentation got boring. i should be heading to bed soon, but photoshop is my new moon. and i figured i'd play there, until the RA came up the stairs...
 WTF right?
for the man.
I know. I'm sitting in class on the verge of nodding off so I figured this was a safe bet to look like I'm alert while.. not. Today I attended a career and internship fair. Interesting experience. I was almost immediately disheartened when I got my profile sheet back after the portfolio pick up and none of the Fashion employers wanted an immediate one- on- one appointment with me. I went back to work (Admissions) to inwardly sulk. I took the Career Service rep's advice and came back for the open interviews. I met with the new president of Costume Gallery, a dancewear company in Burlington NJ. (Me, in Jerrz? le gasp.) She gave me very helpful points on editing my work, and noted that what I had WAS good, but wasn't conducive to an employer screening for a quick decision. It was too process minded and not skills minded. She said I thought things through well, and everything had a point, but I needed to show that. Well. Great thing I'm a hoarder because I'm pretty sure I have swatches and samples for every project. She even invited me back for recruitment interviews in March. So it ended on a higher note than it started. But it left me wondering one thing. How much do you sacrifice "art for arts sake" in the name of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (aka money, money, money)? Its the great debate of designers; how to stay true to yourself and stick it to the 
man while mainstreaming. Can you? Is it even possible?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Do in Maryland: Triple Creek and the Chesapeake Wine and Balloon Festival

Travel Noire: Barcelona, Spain

When You Need Help Being "Mommy"