The Rules of Retail

I've worked in retail since I was 17. It started off as an easy summer gig. Fast forward to last January. I had been applying to various design jobs following my graduation in December. One by one each opening was filled, and I wasn't the one filling it. Not wanting to be a freeloader to my parents, and wanting to prove myself not lazy to my boyfriend, I relented and picked up two retail jobs. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the majority of new jobs created come the retail industry. In August alone 44,000 of the 169,000 jobs created were in retail. That's 26%!

Unfortunately, most people lose their humanity when they come to shop. In my experience, department stores have it the worse. I work both at a department store and a mid range boutique chain and I leave the department store hating life every night I work there. Customers often take advantage of the cliche "the customer is always right", then wonder why the cashier is rude. So to save us from each other, I put together my top 7 rules of retail:

The Rules of Retail

1. The customer is NOT always right
 I've witnessed more of my fair share of customers trying to get over on a new cashier, argue down a floor associate over a sign, or try to return merchandise YOU KNOW is past the return policy. Especially the returns. Most companies computers are advanced enough that we can track your receipts up to a year, but to cut down on extraneous returns, registers only hold the return period which is usually 45-90 days. I mean really, if you have held something in your possession for a quarter of the year, that's your fault, not mine. Shame on you. Not only are you wrong, your griping and insistence to swindle a deal leads to my next rule...

2. Deal with the lines
Friday, Saturday, nights, holiday weekends and Black Friday to Christmas Eve are the worst days and times to shop. Why? BECAUSE SO IS EVERYONE ELSE. Instead of complaining, just have a little patience. I didn't twist your arm to come when you did. And while your money is appreciated, because it goes to the company and in turn pays me my measly minimum wage, your sour attitude is not. Being rude to the sales associate and asking "why you aint got more people up here?" will not get the line down faster. Neither will processing your 15 6-month old returns. Positivism begets positivism and I can guarantee that if a customer is understanding or says something to make my day, the next customer will benefit from my new good mood

3. Respect the Fitting Rooms (and my time)
This is something that grinds my gears so much, sparks could fly. There is nothing more passively disrespectful than walking into a trashed fitting room. Its bad for two reasons: For one, a salesperson or attendant has to spend time picking up everything you left on the floor, hanging it up, re-buttoning or zipping it back up, putting it on the rack we left FOR YOU and then getting it back on the floor so someone else can then opt to buy it. This takes away from customers who genuinely need my help or referring to rule 2, a co-worker who is dealing with a crazy line. Two, as a customer, do you want to walk into a dirty dressing room? Would you be offended to  find a mess another person left behind? How would you feel if someone went into your walk in closet and threw everything on the floor, broke 3 hangers and left their half drunk Starbucks on the top shelf? yeah... please don't be that person. I sincerely appreciate it when you utilize the rack most places leave for your discards, or in rare cases, put it back yourself. Or ask me to help. Don't trash the rooms.

4. I'm not stupid
I sometimes feel like customers forget retail workers (and service workers in general) are human beings like everyone else and deserve respect just like everyone else. I'm not beneath you because I only make minimum wage instead of holding a $40K job. I went to college, graduated with a Bachelors degree and make enough to just cover my bills. Some of my co-workers have full time careers or are stay at home parents and work retail to supplement their income. Some are working to pay for school. And most of the managers work retail because they like the work (so they say...) In my case (and many other new grads), I'm still looking for my ideal career, it just hasn't happened yet- remember 26% of new jobs were retail, only 4% were in wholesale (corporate) retail and pretty much 0% in "other industries" not outlined by the BLS- either of which fashion design most likely falls in. In the meantime, I'm doing the best I can and being belittled about things I have no control over doesn't help. Which goes to number 5...

5. We don't decide what merchandise ends up in the stores
Retail works like this: A company employs thousands of people. At headquarters, there's a group of individuals called buyers, and another called allocators (or planners). Buyers work with in house designers and outside vendors domestically and internationally to develop and create products. They then buy however many units of said various products they think the stores can sell, based on research and stats complied by another department. The allocators then look at the number of products and divvy them up for each store based on similar numbers. Stores with high sales or noticeable niche markets get more stuff (or more of a certain thing) than a store with  lower sales. It gets shipped to the store on set days and gets replenished if it sells through quickly. I don't determine it, my stock manager doesn't order it and the general manager doesn't order it. What we can do is direct you to another store or to the company website as most places have online stores. We'll even go as far to order it for you- but stop asking me why we don't have a dress in a size 16 but have 16 size 6's... I don't know.

6. The Clearance Rack- see Rule #3.
Why do markdowns turn people into raging savages? You are aware blowout sales and clearance usually reflects the actual cost of the product, you know, without the 65-87% markup... hence why JCP experimented with the low price guarantee... it was CLEARANCE everyday. #duh. But only the associates really understood that; lets revisit rules #3& 4, shall we? 

7. Closing time means GET OUT.
Ever had that guest who never got the hint you were tired and wanted them to get out your house? Yeah, thats how I feel at 9:03 when you're still in the building. I want to go home, and the longer you take to leave, the longer I have to stay to clean  up the fitting room and clearance racks you destroyed while asking me why we didn't have your size then proceeded to argue with my girl at the register because you said the sign said $5 when it says "$5...  and up". Next thing I know its 10 pm and I still have a 25 min drive home. Be courteous to the night crew. We like to sleep and want to catch the newest Scandal too.


Now this isn't an attack on every single person who shops. I'm a consumer too, but I tend to be hyper sensitive to my fellow compatriots in the retail struggle. I find myself fixing other customers screw ups to save someone else, even when I'm not working. I just want to help those who may not be aware of their transgressions, and maybe call out those who are serious offenders. Maybe you'll think of me next time you unfold that beautiful stack of sweaters looking for your size and then throw it into a heap thinking "oh they'll get it later". I'll be giving you the side eye. ;-)

-xo




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Do in Maryland: Triple Creek and the Chesapeake Wine and Balloon Festival

Travel Noire: Barcelona, Spain

When You Need Help Being "Mommy"