Too Busy for My Own Good


Oy. You have no idea. I know I said by the end of the weekend you’d hear from me and it’s TUESDAY. FAIL, yes I know. But who cares. I know some of you (or not) have been dying to know (or not) what I’ve been up to lately. Well I’ll try my best to give the condensed and legal versions..   

  •     Internship-


my 'thank you' flowers
How time flies. It seems like just yesterday I was in Maryland, breaking my neck to get back to Philly to move out of my apartment and start my internship. While some paperwork prevents me from going into full detail, do know I had a blast working there and met some very wonderful people while enjoying lots of yummy food. I’m currently praying all works out and I can continue to work there during the semester so fingers crossed baby!

  • Wedding-


I LOVE weddings. I’m so girly it’s sickening sometimes and you can ask Ashante and watch him cringe when I get started on weddings. The channel I miss the most from home (outside of all the movie ones) is We, where I watch David Tutera and We Wedding Sundays ALL DAY LONG. I love romantic things and it’s terrible. So when all of my friends started getting married I probably became unbearable to my poor boyfriend. (hence why I want a small quiet low-budget wedding so I can’t go postal). This was different though because this is a wedding I’ve had a series of dealings with and wasn’t family.  One of my first friends at college is getting married Saturday and I had the honor of making her veil. She wanted something classic that fit with her dress and would work both with her Southern charm reception and high Catholic ceremony. She settled on a mantilla veil. I had never done one of these before, so I quietly freaked while genuinely accepting her task. More horror struck as the lady cutting the lace I used shorted me by a half yard. (Upon laying out the lace on the template veil I was indeed 9 inches short). However the day was saved as I problem solved and found a way to make up the 9 inches without sacrificing a ton of width and none of the length. She picked it up Sunday and was thrilled. I’ll post preliminary pictures immediately after the wedding.

  • Collection 2-


This monster. Collection 2 and its all-inclusive saga begins next Tuesday. In a move to cause a ruckus and program overhaul I just sent an email to the full time fashion design faculty requesting an investigation into plus size forms because I felt the program was not diverse and I wanted to implement more immediate changes brought up at work into viable pieces of art. Luckily, what I want to do would work as easily on the typical size 4 models but I figured, hell, if I’m leaving in December, let’s blow their socks off. And what better way than with a plus size collection. Why not? What does either side have to lose? And maybe (just maybe) it’ll get me a job somewhere because really, who walks around saying, “my goal in life is to be the foremost plus size designer!!” Nobody? So I can totally do that? Word.  Stay tuned when I unveil the concept. It’s gonna be like “whaaaaaa!!!"

  •  Babies!!!


BABIES! I also love babies. But in the order I typed this. (note weddings came first) I don’t want to THINK about anything small and squirmy coming out of me until a ring is on my finger. Sorry for you liberal folks but you still need 2 people to have a kid and I want the other half DOING half. You got a 9 month break off the bat, so you will pay.
Anywho, I love OTHER people’s babies. You know the kind you can give back when they start crying or puking and whatnot. I don’t have the patience yet, I just like dressing them up and giving them noisy toys, which gave me the idea to make something for my coworker’s soon arriving baby girl. I appreciate gifts that are usable, but people put some obvious thought and love into. And since I’m girly, and her mom is super girly, I created the girliest thing I could manage (with my mom’s help). It started with a request for a hat; that morphed into a hat, booties, dress and bloomers, a second matching hat and a mini cardigan. We have problems, so God forbid I actually have kids one day. They’ll never know what it’s like to not have a properly fitting Sunday dress or trousers. I think we totally captured the essence of mommy to be in baby-to-be’s new mini wardrobe. I can't wait to see her reaction (hopefully its good, haha).
the matching dress, bloomers/ diaper cover and hat!
That was long; I really need to stop going that long between posts.
OH and check out my portfolio website (the link is on the sidebar as well) I finally got around to updating some of it and made a few cosmetic changes- makes for a cleaner interface.

-xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Do in Maryland: Triple Creek and the Chesapeake Wine and Balloon Festival

Travel Noire: Barcelona, Spain

When You Need Help Being "Mommy"