Motherland Mother's Day

So as promised in my intro post, lets discuss two things I'm passionate about: dresses and breastfeeding. These two things could harmoniously coexist, but typically they don't. If you need to nurse, you need direct access to the boobs, so a tailored, fitted dress doesn't meet those requirements.

Guess what I wasn't thinking about pre- pregnancy.

As such, my wardrobe is limited to what I can wear for more formal occasions and to church, without getting half nekkid in the process. I pretty much wear loose blouses and skirts, low necklines with a tank, or wrap dresses (more on that later). And it never fails that Nugget thinks sermon time is a perfect time to eat. So I had been contemplating what I wanted to make for Mothers Day, being that I had been dying to use this vibrant wax print cotton I had bought last year. Every project I had considered I kept putting on the back burner, and I was getting fed up with myself. I had a little time to kill waiting for material to be shipped in for the prom dress I just wrapped up, so I went in my pattern stash and pulled out two. I used Vogue 9239 for myself and Butterick 5017 for the little. Both stood out to me because I felt they could handle such a big, bold pattern. But my dress was tailored... and I don't want to undress.

INVISIBLE ZIPPERS.

Invisible zippers are my favorite to work with because it maintains the integrity of a seam, while allowing entry into a garment. The dress I picked had princess seams along the bust. If I could hide the back or side seam, why not the front ones? Which strategically are centered over my breasts? It was the perfect solution. Before sewing the bodice I installed the zippers along the bust line, extending almost to my waist. (one side came out a little pointy because the zipper is rigid, I learned with the other side to soften the curve, but I'm so chesty you can't tell.) I then sewed the bodice as usual. On the lining, I finished the edges of the same pieces, but left them unsewn so I could access my bra and boob. It looked like this when done.

I picked the sleeve finish with the giant ruffle to match the tiered ruffles on Nugget's dress and bloomers. For her, I made a matching bow headband, and we both accessorized with pink shoes.
Overall the dress was comfortable to wear, wax print isn't a heavy fabric so its perfect for spring and summer dresses. BUT THAT NURSING ACCESS THOUGH👐. It was perfect, I had plenty of room to feed comfortably, and could get away without needing a cover for the top of my breast. (I do not cover my baby when nursing... I MIGHT cover the top of my breast in mixed company, but you see more boob at the beach, lets all grow up in 2018, yes?) Here's a few more pics of the finished looks



Final fitting
Mama Re ended up matching too ;-)
                               
Breastfeeding mamas, is this an issue you ran into? I discovered after making this dress a startup fashion line out in Utah had a similar thought process. Check out La Mere apparel here or their Instagram @lameremom. Happy Nursing!


Comments

  1. Awesome Blog babe!!!! Can't wait for the next one ��. The idea is dope. More breastfeeding dresses to come???? ������

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When You Need Help Being "Mommy"

Travel Noire: Barcelona, Spain

Things to Do in Maryland: Triple Creek and the Chesapeake Wine and Balloon Festival