Motherland Redux Preview Party!

Upendo- Chopteeth Afrofunk Band

 Oy. Collection officially kicked my butt this past week thanks to the addition of academic and co-curricular distractions and hangups. But its finished and off for Fashion Show judging whatnot. I'm happy with it for the most part, of course there's things I'm a little concerned about, but nothing so major; I think I have at least a 75- 80% chance in getting all 5 pieces in. Anyway, what's done is done. If you recall from my earlier posts I channeled West African wax prints (ankara to some) into Western society silhouettes (echoing a similar idea from my wedding dress). The whole process was a learning experience- from the fabric sourcing, to manipulation (including a temporary fear of color resulting into a heavy hand of black that eventually got nixed), to "industry" critique to actually putting the looks together. I even legit had a major brainfart the other day when my professor said we were supposed to keep a journal for the class (my face (o_O) ) then I remembered DUH I have a blog (idiot, haha). That's how fried I am.

But now we wait. On Tuesday I'll learn the fate of my garments and the Fashion Show.

On a happier note-- we had to take photos to help the dressers figure out the styling (even though they still get it wrong) so I can treat you to a preview of my collection! They're just on the dressforms, unedited; all the special hair and makeup and whatnot wont come till after the final critique.

Enjoy!
the "Bantu" Knot- front dress. 

Back, faux two piece styling

Hausa Pants and Bustier (interchanceable with Igbo Skirt and Blouse)

Back, exposed metal zipper and sash detail.

Igbo Skirt and Blouse. Mock sarong skirt with draped pleats, sweetheart plunge neck.
(Interchangeable with Hausa set)

Back, twist keyhole detail. 
So yeah, thats the jist, the dressforms don't quite do them justice.. so keep your eye out in a few weeks for the good pictures. I'm off to bed now.
-xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Do in Maryland: Triple Creek and the Chesapeake Wine and Balloon Festival

Travel Noire: Barcelona, Spain

When You Need Help Being "Mommy"