Collezione Uno!

ahhhhh yes. What we all have been waiting for, the sign my college career is actually winding down. (or up, if you look at the workload). My grande finale part one if you will. Or the end of what little social life I had. Anyway, I have had some pre-thought on what I want to accomplish this semester with this. So here goes:
1. I crave, love, breathe, eat simplicity. However i like handwork... kind of oxymoronic. This semester, like spring 2011 semester and even last fall, I want the fabric to do the work and let the silhouette take a back seat.
2. I crave, love, breathe eat comfort. I want my "woman" to be comfortable. Not just in a "in her own skin way" because the styles I'm planning are very body conscious, but also just COMFORTABLE. Breathable knits, loose wovens. I want her to feel as if shes wearing her favorite legging/sweats/t- shirt combo, not a bandage dress (even if it is a bandage dress).
3. I LOVE AFRICAN CULTURE! and INDIAN CULTURE! and CARIBBEAN CULTURE! and anything that isnt played out African American urban hoodness (Ghetto Equestrian anyone? Erika? haha) I want to CELEBRATE the rich textile and fashion heritage people of color have. Its flippin fantastic! I particularly like the urban yet ethnic styling of African designers Gloria Wavamunno and Maki Oh. Another cool group is the Smarteez Collective out of Soweto, Johannesburg. Not quite my aesthetic but pieces definitely resonated with me and I know my more Soho hipster friends (Catherine) would appreciate them.

The overarching theme will be African Transmodernism, basically taking classic elements of African textiles and clothing and molding them with modern silhouettes.

The designers I mentioned above can be found below or by clicking their name. All information is courtesy of Stylesight 


now to get to sketching. blahhhhh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Do in Maryland: Triple Creek and the Chesapeake Wine and Balloon Festival

Travel Noire: Barcelona, Spain

When You Need Help Being "Mommy"