ITS A GIRL!

As soon as most parents hear this, parents thought processes go two ways. Mom: aww I can dress her, and take her shopping and mani- pedis with venti mochas and... le gasp! Her Wedding!*gushes and cuddles* Dads: great, now I have to pay for a pony.... oh crap, and a wedding. *awkwardly smiles at wife*.

Fast forward about.... let's say 27 years. Meet Leslie.
 
Believe it or not, Leslie is the dress, not the model, or the gorgeous baby girl. Its Badgley Mischka my favvve
I always found it interesting that designers named their gowns, especially in bridal. Theres Leslie, Katia, Tasha, Katherine, Amanda etc. If you had a girl, there's a 99% chance there is a dress with her name on it. LITERALLY. Example? Here's me, the Whitney:

Making this wedding gown has gotten me attached, like most of my work, but the fact it has purpose makes it mean so much more. Some woman could walk down the aisle and say "I do" to the man of her dreams IN MY GOWN [or not: enter Kim K., I digress.] Its my baby, my own special labor of love, and then I understood. The "theme" of my wedding is 'Married Culture', the dress has West African motifs and fabrics so I wanted to reflect that in the name of my dress. So I looked up some African names that related to the occasion. No Kike's or Folake's- beautiful names but not quite right. No Shakira's either :-) Here's what I found and their meaning. I'll Google the language of the one I pick.

  • Raisa- exalted
  • Rashida- righteous
  • Rehani- promise/ vow
  • Sanaa- art
  • Tamasha- happy occasion
  • Ujamaa- family
  • Zahra- blossom
So what should I name my baby???

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Do in Maryland: Triple Creek and the Chesapeake Wine and Balloon Festival

Travel Noire: Barcelona, Spain

When You Need Help Being "Mommy"