Unveiling "Grandstand Diva"

I won't waste too much time explaining my collection, as you can read all the background here. But for recap's sake this is the final incarnation of my final senior collection/ capstone project at PhilaU. It's titled "Grandstand Diva" and is supposed to invoke the feeling of a day at the races, namely the Triple Crown. All the constructed dresses were named after one of the tracks, and the accessories created in my elective course reflect the horse than won a race there. I now present "Grandstand Diva"

The Collection

Pimlico- Pimlico (named for the Preakness Stakes) is a 3/4 sleeve peplum cocktail dress featuring a low scoop back, ruched side skirt and an exposed zipper back.
Dress front with belt

Side; with skirt ruching detail

Dress Back with back ruching and zipper

Exposed zipper detail

Churchill Downs-  Churchill Downs, home to the famous Kentucky Derby, served at the inspiration for this fitted sweetheart neckline sheath dress with cap sleeves and twist front detail. A back cutout adds for exit drama.
Dress front with twist detail

Side

Dress back with cutout and exposed zipper

yay! more exposed zippers!

Twist Detail

Belmont- Lastly we have Belmont, an allover ruched dress with an asymmetrical V-neck and slight front split. 
Dress front

Side

Dress back

EXPOSED ZIPPERRRRS!

Ruching detail

While I and everyone else liked this dress, the class critic hated it. And since she was the professors wife, I strongly feel this weighed heavily into the factoring of my grade. (Although it shouldn't have) Its just one of those things that you know you can't win and being in the fashion industry you just chalk it up, move on, and drown your sorrows in wine later. I stood up for myself, and I don't think she was used to having a student come back at her. Clearly it may not have helped my grade in the long term, but I didn't care then and I don't care now. Its the principle of things- if you wouldn't talk to another designer like that, don't do it to me. But *le sigh* I digress. I'm done and never have to see her again.

This is it ladies and gentlemen. This is the end of an era. Rest in peace formal American education. Aug 28, 1995- Dec 14, 2012. I'm done with you. Unless I get a cushy job that will pay for grad school. I hate school so only the factor of making more money would make me go back. I truthfully learned more in my 7 months of interning than in 4.5 years of college about the fashion industry anyway. Now I get to start working on paying back Uncle Sam and his girlfriend Sallie Mae...

In the meantime I decided I'll keep the blog going, detailing my sewing exploits and probably cooking too as I'm home and the only thing I do here is eat and sleep. If I keep it up I'll be wearing my plus size creations. (smh). I hope you enjoyed following my journey through my last year.

-xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Do in Maryland: Triple Creek and the Chesapeake Wine and Balloon Festival

Travel Noire: Barcelona, Spain

When You Need Help Being "Mommy"