Things. Messy Things. Yummy Things. Simple Things.

So as I promised I'd post other little side projects until the semester heats up again...

(During down time at work I actually started developing some preliminary Collection flats and drawings but thats another post...)

Because of my Internship I'm living on campus and we had to move halfway through the summer term (two weekends ago). It was hot, I was hormonal, it was my Darling Roomie's birthday weekend and due to events we wont discuss (there was water and sofas involved) she was irritable and we spent the day before cleaning the mess of an apartment we didn't destroy from a party we didn't even throw... (we'll also leave that alone). Then we lost my massive collection of multipurpose life-saving clear thumbtacks which she inadvertently and haphazardly packed with her bath things. By 10p.m. we were a hot mess again. The nice thing about this move is that we worked the system and got to move straight into our apartment for the school year, so no more moving till graduation! But I needed solace and due to other unfortunate circumstances involving eggs, Darling Roomie's attempt at making herself a birthday cake epically FAILED. So I set out to make both of us happy.
Enter the STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE.
With the whipped cream peaks
Middle Filling layer
yum.
It was delicious. Strawberry Shortcakes, in my opinion, are one of the hallmarks summer is here, right next to Firecracker Popsicles. Strawberries are summer fruits, whipped cream makes everything better and who doesn't love a great yellow or pound cake? My method will be posted on my Tutorials page later.

After the cake I wanted to do something more fashion related... like the super cute and fashion forward/ right now trend of ombre nails. I love them and I believe that if you're creative enough you can make some crazy combos work. I did mine in a deep violet to periwinkle to electric royal blue; and followed this tutorial to achieve my look, as you can see below. I did my big toes to match, with the rest being the royal blue to round out my mani-pedi.

Lastly to round out my week of alternate creativity, I'm on my first "diet" if you will... trying to GAIN weight. I've struggled most of my life (and all of my adult years) keeping a healthy weight. I'm genetically small, but due to my height (5'7) and my age (almost 22, regrettably of child bearing age) I need to weigh about 15-20 lbs more than I do... so I eat pasta. Lots of it. My favorite sauce is hands down Alfredo, and I always thought making Alfredo from scratch was some immensely complicated thing, not like tomato sauces where you simmer it and throw some herbs and spices in. Well I experimented and created a wonderfully simple recipe that I'll share with you, also on my Recipes and Tutorials page. Since Ashante (the boyfriend) was visiting, I sauteed some spiced shrimp because he LOVES seafood. I love leafy green veggies, so I blanched some spinach and we had Shrimp Florentine Alfredo. Yumderful.
Allllllfredooooh. wit scrimps. lol

I feel this was timely/ ironic/appropriate after my Julie and Julia post. haha. I'm such a foodie... now go cook something while I go enjoy my Cupcake Moscato in our new Chalkboard Painted wine glasses. (yes, again :-))

-xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Do in Maryland: Triple Creek and the Chesapeake Wine and Balloon Festival

Travel Noire: Barcelona, Spain

When You Need Help Being "Mommy"