Currently...

Dying the ground color of my fabric. The sateen was stark white and my professor wasn't super excited about the shade. So I coffee dyed it, 3 pots and a million and a half grounds later I got a shade I like but unfortunately I followed ill advice (durn internet) and put the grounds in with the dye solution, so it could continue to "steep" or "brew" if you will. Bad, BAD idea. I had to put the fabric in the washing machine and hope the spin cycle can toss the few straggling grains out of the fabric. I'm a little concerned too now that the finish wasn't quite strong enough and since I hadn't dried (aka heat set) it yet the color will continue to leech out. That's the problem with using homemade and natural dyes. I'll post pictures of the painting process as I go through it tomorrow. You can see the color (before the 4th wash) below.

WELL. That was sometime last week. FAIL. However, I made up for lost posting time by being super productive. I DID coffee dye the fabric, did various swatch tests before working in the print. I also finished the bag and belt for the final looks. Lets watch the print progression.
Phase 1- Coffee Dye

Phase 2- Dyed, dried and primed

Phase 3- Base Coloring

Phase 4- Deeper color added

Phase 5- Details being added

FEATHERS!!

Full yardage completed
Feather print up close
The bag was the result of a last minute, late night burst of energy. It features brass- gold hardware, pink leather and the sateen sash that matches the body of the dress. Its called the "I'll Have Another" clutch, after the 2012 winner of the Belmont race (Triple Crown).
 At full size, its an oversize envelope/ pouch clutch, or, you can fold it in half and thread the sash through the large grommet at the other end to tie into a wristlet.
Zippered interior pocket

Pouch style with bow tied

Laying down

Inside

Folded

Wristlet!
Stay tuned this week, I sew the final dress tonight and tomorrow!

-xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Do in Maryland: Triple Creek and the Chesapeake Wine and Balloon Festival

Travel Noire: Barcelona, Spain

When You Need Help Being "Mommy"